Thursday, November 4, 2010

Procrastination

I am sitting here on a cold November morning. Its cold for me anyway. In East Tennessee many would say in other parts of the country that its not all that cold yet. We are originally from Indiana and our families there would trade our weather for theirs much of the winter I suppose. But I sit here looking our my sliding door window thinking of all the things I put off this last year. With the approaching holidays and thus the end of the year and other big events for myself and our family I guess I am in a reflective sort of mood. I sit here wondering why I have put so many of those things off. I can understand some of the things I have put off, for some reasons but others I can not.
Why do we do that? Why do we keep ourselves so busy with the business of those "to do lists" work, school, cleaning the house and so on, but on our other lists are those things we want to do, for me it was things like writing on this blog or scrap booking more or especially playing with my children more and not just those things I am willing to play but the things they want to play.
One the greatest most recent memories I have with one of our children came when my son was attempting to convince his brother or sister to play a video game with him. When no one would play with him I felt sorry for him and too his surprise I told him I would; this was not only a surprise to him but the whole family. I only play video games I LIKE and under my terms! You know the ones I am talking about the "old people" games as my kids would put it, like Pac Man or the Super Nintendo game the real games from may time or maybe things like Mario Cart. But I would never play a game of killing zombies especially not a game in which I do not know what I am doing and not now that I do not feel well. However I played with him and too my surprise and everyone else I had the best time with my son. We laughed so hard and yelled at the TV and those zombies for so long and by the time we were finished we had others in the house watching us and laughing along with us.
My son had told that story to the family over and over to the family and his friends time and again. But this story brings me back to my wrestling question again this morning why do we put things off? My house is no cleaner this morning because I have not blogged since January, or because I have not scrap booked or any of the other things I have been putting to do when I have "the time". I think women especially think they have to wait until everything is in order to steal away some special time for themselves to do something nice for themselves, yet have you ever heard a man (no offence intended) say I shouldn't play golf or watch this football game because I just haven't gotten my to do list accomplished? Why do we do that to ourselves? This is just something I have been wondering about this morning, perhaps this will provoke me to move in the areas I should and let go of those areas that I should give less attention too.
I have recently realized, my oldest son is going to college in 3 and a half years, he is planning to go to a nearby school but nonetheless he is planning to live at the college, we have just 3 and a half years with this person in our home. Realizing that has impacted me so much more. He is now so busy that I covet my time with him even more, do I really want to spend my time consumed with cleaning or rather over cleaning or striving for all A's or working more at friendships than familyships? I have decided NO! I would rather work on the relationships in this home everything else can wait...

No comments:

Post a Comment